Here are a few things you will want to know before you arrive for your floatation appointment:
- For your first visit you will be required to fill out our intake form, receive instructions on your first float and answer any questions you have so please arrive 10-15 minutes early.
- It is required that all individuals shower before entering the float tank, even if you have just showered at home. All deodorant, hair products, body lotions, makeup, perfumes and colognes must be removed prior to floating to ensure it does not contaminate the salt levels.
- The salt water will not harm colored or treated hair, however, we ask that you wait 48 hours after your treatment so as not to contaminate the spa water.
- Please refrain from sun-tanning or spray tanning sessions prior to floating.
- If you have large cuts or open wounds, are experiencing an illness, or it is during your menstrual cycle, please reschedule until these issues have resolved.
- It is best not to have a big meal or any caffeine within two hours of your scheduled appointment. You should avoid caffeine even longer before your appointment if you are sensitive to it.
- Do not shave for at least 4-6 hours before your float, as the highly salted water will sting. If you have any small cuts or scratches, we provide Vaseline petroleum jelly to cover those up.
- Audio music, towels, shampoo, soap, and earplugs are provided for you. You will have your own personal floatation room equipped with a floatation tank, shower and dressing area. Our facilities are limited for those wanting to do hair and makeup so please let us know if you need extra time.
- You may bring the following with you after the 3-4 float: iPod (soothing, relaxing, meditative music or informational programs only), cases for contact lenses, hair brush or comb, or a change of clothes. A swimsuit is not recommended, as the density of salt will make it uncomfortable.
We have a limited number of appointments each day and schedule two hours for every one hour session. This time allows us to orientate new clients and also gives everyone a calm and peaceful environment. However, we adhere to a very strict cleaning policy of 30 minutes to prepare the spa suite for the next client, so we ask that you not linger in your suite after your float.
Things you may experience while floating
Floating is a different phenomenon! Some of the things we and others have experienced are a feeling of slowly rotating in midair as if you are rotating in a circle knowing full well you are not able to do so. Feeling like you drift in one direction only to have your opposite foot touch the wall not realizing you ever moved. Some suggestions for relaxation have been to breathe slowly while counting in between breaths, others pray or meditate while trying to relax. The most amazing thing is when you realize you forget where you are and it doesn’t matter! There is a point after the 3-4 float that your brain recognizes the relaxation method and helps you to get there faster, without struggling. This is when healing begins! One of the most difficult decisions is trying to figure out where to place your arms while you’re floating. It is an individual preference but majority like it resting above the head. Joe Rogan from Fear Factor states he takes the time while he is floating to reflect on his life and at times this is emotional but often relaxing to have peace from within. Floating is very personal and each person will identify different situations, thoughts but the underlying feeling afterward that is heard most often is relaxation.